Fire! (in a crowded theatre)
While in Sri Lanka in 2009, I was invited to a dance recital of all the Sunday school children in the District. It was held in a large hall with perhaps a thousand children, teachers and parents in attendance. An unthinking organizer had arranged for this fire dance ensemble to perform as an intermission act. Fire handling is integral to many Sri Lankan festivals but it usually performed outside as part of a parade.
I was seated close to an open side door towards which I judiciously moved as the flames began to lap the stage curtain valance. The sheen on the stage floor is the un-ignited portion of the coconut oil and kerosene mix which is the fuel for the flames when expelled from the mouth. Fortunately, the act was cut short when the danger became apparent and there were no mishaps. Most of the oil was swabbed from the floor before the groups of children returned to the stage. But the smell of the fuel and the drifting soot remained through their performances.
Safe? Eco-friendly? Absolutely not!
Typical? For sure!
Take a look at the kneeling performer in X2, if you have time.